E ric and E vey .com

Sep '11


Barcelona Day 1

After our wedding Eric and I took a couple days to regroup at his parents’ house in New Jersey before beginning our honeymoon. The first stop on our European honeymoon was Barcelona! We arrived and went straight to our hotel, the W Barcelona. This hotel is magnificent, right on the water and the beach, very modern, and very tall. Thanks to Eric’s hotel points rewards our stay here was free! And since we mentioned it was our honeymoon we got a little room upgrade to the 24th floor. The room was fabulous, the view was fabulous, but the best part was taking a much needed nap and dealing with the time difference.

Our first stop for the day was to see La Sagrada Familia, designed by Antoni Gaudi. We had bought tickets in advance to go inside and also to ride up into one of the towers, and it was all completely worth it. This is one of the most unique and interesting churches I’ve ever seen. We spent a long time exploring it.

Next we tried our hand at the Barcelona metro system! We did really well buying a multi-ride ticket and getting on the right train. Getting off the train, however, we seemed to have gotten off the wrong stop. Or maybe just exited at the wrong side of the station. The next adventure was figuring out how to walk from whatever station we found ourselves in to the Parc Guell, our ultimate destination. Thankfully Eric had downloaded some maps of Barcelona to his phone prior to the trip so we used them to guide us through neighborhood streets to the top of the Parc. It was a longer walk than we expected, but pleasant if not hilly.

The Parc was as described, and we were glad to be walking top down through all the levels rather than upwards. After we exited the Parc we wandered in and out of some shops and finally had dinner in a little cafe. The last stop of the night was supposed to be the Font Magica in Placa d’Espanya. We tackled the metro again and were quite successful this time getting to our destination. Despite the insane crowds all trying to watch the show, we eventually made it right up to the fountain and stayed for a while enjoying the colors and music. When we’d had enough we picked up a cab back to the hotel for the night.